Recently I posted about PrestaShop 1.5 being released in mid-february. Unfortunately, we're nearing the end of March and it doesn't look like the release is anywhere in sight.
I regularly check the PrestaShop 1.5 development forums for updates on the upcoming version, as well as to offer feedback to the team, and it seemed that there was a growing frustration from members of the community that the latest scheduled release had been and gone without explanation.
From the PrestaShop Team
Thankfully, today Carl Favre, Community Manager at PrestaShop joined the discussion to let us know what was happening:
I have some news about this expected 1.5 version.
As you may have seen in the latest beta or on the SVN for the more adventurous, many progresses have been made on the 1.5.
Yet, after a big discussion between the developers it has been decided that the current SVN version could not yet be qualified as an RC version.
As we have always said, we prefer to delay the release instead of delivering a version below your and our expectations.
In the incoming days you should have a new beta version with all the latest improvements found in the SVN. It would be a good way for you to check the progresses made.
We will also determine how much work is still needed to finish the RC version and give you an estimated release date. (Expect 2 more months at least).
We want to thank you all for your patience and your feedback about this 1.5 and I want to assure you that we are working very hard to deliver a great RC version as fast as possible.
In short, it sounds like they're not happy with progress and have had to postpone the PrestaShop 1.5 RC release for at least 2 months.
PrestaShop 1.5 is postponed
This news is good and bad. On one hand its great to have official word on this from a member of the PrestaShop team, and that the dedicated team are removing as many bugs as possible before release.
On the other hand, this is at least another couple of months waiting for something once planned for a September 2011 release. Of course I am grateful to PrestaShop for their software, but it is worrying when something is potentially over 6 months past its original schedule.
Should I wait?
If you're wondering whether to start your PrestaShop store or project using version 1.4, or to wait for 1.5, then I would recommend going ahead and starting with PrestaShop 1.4. Updating will be seemless and you can take advantage of all the new features in PrestaShop 1.5 as soon as its released.